Saturday, February 15, 2014

Snearest Adults and Other Assumptions

At my school, when a student is needed or is late getting to the room after recess, an announcement comes over the intercom: "Johnny Smith please go to the nearest adult." After one such announcement one of my kiddos raised his hand and asked, "What's a snearest adult?"

Upon further discussion I realized, cuteness aside, he didn't understand the term "nearest adult."  As I explained to him what it meant, I noticed other kiddos having light bulb moments.  Oh, so that is what it means. We had been in school 101 days (kindergarten teachers keep track of such things.) and each of those days I had made an assumption. I thought my students would know how to respond if their name was called.   After 20+ years of  hanging out with 5 year olds, I should have known better.

How many times do I assume the nearest adults in my life understand what I mean?  Would fewer assumptions mean fewer misunderstandings? Something to think about.


Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding
Proverbs 3:5




No comments:

Post a Comment